CRANBERRY TOWNSHIP, Pa. – You don’t have to be an apologist to realize it’s a tough question to ask Sidney Crosby, but you also would have to be in the dark to think the face of the NHL, with his concussion history, shouldn’t be asked to weigh in.
The Pittsburgh Penguins center on Monday struggled some to address the tentative settlement that was announced earlier in the day in the lawsuit between more than 100 former players – including former Penguins winger Kevin Stevens — and the league over concussion injuries. The settlement is monetary, reportedly $16,910,800, and “the NHL does not acknowledge any liability” for the claims of the former players.
“I haven’t followed it,” Crosby said. “It’s hard for me to talk about. My experience is a little different than theirs would have been. Obviously, we know a lot more now than we did before – even a lot more than we did when I had my first one.
“It’s something you hope they can mutually agree on. It’s something that I think is important from both sides.”
The lawsuit, which claimed the NHL of failing to protect players from or adequately inform players about the long-term impact of concussions and head injuries.
Involved players apparently can choose to take $22,000, plus testing and medical care up to $75,000.
“Guys need support,” said Crosby, who has had at least three concussions dating to January 2011. “The Players Association and the league, everyone’s got to be involved in part of that. It’s something that as players we know that risk, but I think that that being said, we still have to be there to support each other.”