Let’s make one thing clear. The Royal Penguin does not actually serve penguin. And Loaded is not for those who have had a few too many.
Those eateries actually are a couple of things the fans can expect for Pittsburgh Penguins home games. With the 2018-19 season opening Thursday with a home game against Washington, the team has released a list of new or revamped things that will be part of the fan experience at PPG Paints Arena.
As with a lot of other sports teams — the Pittsburgh Steelers among them — the Penguins will go heavy on mobile ticketing as they attempt to provide a more convenient and fraud-free ticketing process for those who get tickets delivered from TicketMaster and the secondary market.
PDF tickets, which are printed at home, will no longer be accepted. The team suggests fans download the new Penguins app and tap tickets to manage and view their mobile barcodes. For more information and instructions, visit.
Once you’ve mastered the mobile ticketing, on your way in you can heckle (OK, maybe just watch, but we know you want to heckle) the AT&T SportsNet pregame show, which now will have a Highmark Studio inside the Highmark Gate (along Centre Avenue near the intersection with Washington Place, behind Epiphany Church).
And now for the food.
The team’s news release led off with the opening of The Milk Shake Factory, a new stand behind section 107.
- Craft & Carved – featuring specialty carved sandwiches and artisan paninis, paired with craft beers, located at section 116.
- Tenders Love & Chicken – offering upscale chicken tenders, wings, a fried chicken sandwich and specialty dipping sauces, at section 232.
- Loaded – specialty-loaded nachos and waffle fries, at section 108.
- The “Royal Penguin” – two action stations featuring rolled ice cream, one in the Captain Morgan Club and one in the Key Bank Club.
- Liquor portables, including a Captain Morgan portable at section 116, a Kettle One portable at section 215, and a Crown Royal portable at section 228. There also will be a Barrel ’67 wine portable at section 119.
- Kreas has moved to a portable at section 116, and The Kernel has rewrapped and updated the two popcorn portables at sections 105 and 202.
- Season ticket holders voted in a new sandwich at The Yard at section 130, the “Lafferty, Daniel,” featuring provolone, fresh buffalo mozzarella, crispy battered chicken breast, homemade marinara and basil.
- Burgatory is offering the “Impossible Burger” – a veggie burger that is surprisingly close to a meat burger – at its location near section 206.
Enjoy, but don’t forget to, you know, watch hockey.