Connect with us

Links

Dan’s Daily: Trades that Didn’t Happen, the Flyers are Toast

Published

on

Pittsburgh Penguins Jeff Carter
Jeff Carter: Photo Courtesy of Pittsburgh Penguins

The days following the carnage of the NHL trade deadline are always as interesting as the day itself, though not nearly as chaotic. We often get a glimpse of deals that didn’t get done and this year is no different, including a big center linked to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Also, the Philadelphia Flyers were despondent on the ice, Patrik Laine’s contract sitch, and could the Boston Bruins keep Taylor Hall well past this season?

And the Florida Panthers may have been the big trade deadline winners. Yeah, the Florida Panthers.

Pittsburgh Hockey Now: First, the Penguins injury situation. One step forward. One step back. It’s unbelievable. Kasperi Kapanen started skating, but Frederick Gaudreau is out week to week. The full Penguins injury update. 

Jeff Carter’s career has come full circle. He and Sidney Crosby were laughing at their battles when they were NHL youngsters. It also appears the Penguins will slot Carter as a center, for now. 

PHN+: Mike Sullivan and Ron Hextall are forging a new path and relationship.

The Boston Bruins, New York Islanders, and Washington Capitals made a splash. Did the Penguins do enough at the NHL trade deadline?

League News & Stuff to Watch

Sportsnet: In Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts, he rattled off several trades that didn’t happen and players who were the subject of interest, but nothing happened. PHN linked the Penguins to Ryan Getzlaf, but Friedman added two more teams, including the surprise Montreal Canadiens. He also linked the Penguins trade interests to Travis Zajac. 

What should the Columbus Blue Jackets do, or offer, Patrik Laine who is due a new contract? 

TSN: The disastrous Detroit Red Wings traded Anthony Mantha but would they consider Dylan Larkin, too? They’re going to wait until after the season to evaluate coach Jeff Blashill (who has a worse record than the Washington Generals), and just how deep this rebuild goes. 

NHL.com: The Seattle Kraken are taking a wait-and-see approach on choosing a head coach. 

Rather odd? A coach will shape some of the players selected. We’re getting down to the time when backroom deals are being made, teams are scheming to keep or dump players, and a coach’s style would affect GM Ron Francis’ moves. Or, at least, I think they would.

National Hockey Now

Florida: The Florida Panthers trade deadline recap should make Brian Burke jealous. Florida added youth, grit, sandpaper, and good hockey players. The under-the-radar but successful Florida Panthers deadline. 

Write this down. Florida is going to give Tampa Bay all they can handle in the Central Division–if Bob holds up in goal.

Philly: Anthony Mantha scored a pair and the Washington Capitals waxed the Philadelphia Flyers, who were absolutely lifeless in the loss. 

With every loss or missed point, the Penguins are a point closer to their 15th consecutive playoff appearance. In January, who would have thought the Penguins would be cruising to a playoff spot? The Penguins’ magic number is 18/19 points because the New York Rangers won on Tuesday.

But the Flyers look like they’re done with this season.

Boston: Taylor Hall has a rare chance to change perception with the Boston Bruins. 

And Kevan Miller absolutely threw fists with Tage Thompson, who didn’t do so well at punching back. 

New York: In a shocker, it’s not Kyle Palmieri on the New York Islanders top line, but Travis Zajac who’s taking the top-line LW spot. Here’s the Islanders’ thinking and analysis. 

Out west…

San Jose: The Sharks held a team meeting. Expect big changes on Wednesday? 

Colorado: Like the Penguins, the Colorado Avalanche got vaccinated this week. 

Vegas: Max Pacioretty scored his 300th goal and Vegas came back to beat LA. 

Life is back to normal after a tense trade deadline, vaccination, and a few Penguins’ off days. After 14 games in 23 days, which seemed like 50 in 50, these last two weeks have been weird. We’ll have full coverage of the Penguins practice on Wednesday, including where Jeff Carter slots in the Pittsburgh Penguins lineup. Will he take second-line center with Zucker on the left? Will he take third-line center with…McCann on the left? Or will Mark Jankowski get a seat because McCann stays in the middle?

You’ll have things you want to talk about. I will, too…

Subscribe to PHN+

Pittsburgh Hockey Now Editor-in-Chief, formerly 93.7 The Fan, Sportsnet Hockey Tonight, NHL Home Ice. Catch Dan tweeting @theDanKingerski and the official @pghhockeynow account.

12 Comments
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
12 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ether
6 months ago

To me it seems like the Flyers might be down, but not exactly toast. With 3 games against the Guins (and 2 rather late)–they could still play a spoiler role at the very least and help the Rangers make that 4th spot real real nervy. Stats may say 97% chance of making playoffs, but as a fan that 3% always looms much larger in our souls than it does on some dusty spreadsheet.

Hentryk
Hentryk
6 months ago
Reply to  Ether

Yeah I always worry about a team on the fringe running off some wins and the Pens hit a rough patch. I just never assume anything is certain.

Frank
Frank
6 months ago

If nothing else the Flyer collapse is perfect evidence that predictions and commentary are mostly idle conversation that is mostly guess built on what happened a year ago. So it is very funny to read order of team finish or the “who won and who lost” at the trade deadline. These deals can largely be put in the “let’s wait and see” column. That said, barring one of the middle round draft picks turning into a top six forward or top 4 defenseman for the Kings there is not much to dislike about the Carter deal. Without saying it I… Read more »

D1VE is Dumb
D1VE is Dumb
6 months ago
Reply to  Frank

Carter plays center and wing. When the team is healthy the Penguins will deploy him on the wing and plan on him playing wing not center next year so get out of here with your 100 years old crap. Do you not recall what a “young” center named Matt Cullen was able to do with/for the Penguins a couple years ago?
As far as teams from other divisions and wear and tear, I would be more worried about whatever team comes out of the North and how they respond to playing against teams that play defense with good goalies.

Last edited 6 months ago by SD Pens Fan
Bachinga
Bachinga
6 months ago
Reply to  D1VE is Dumb

As the fully healthy roster is constructed, he’s staying in the middle…

D1VE is Dumb
D1VE is Dumb
6 months ago
Reply to  Bachinga

Where is this fully healthy roster you are talking about? Last I check Malkin and Gaudreau are both out of the lineup and both coincidently play center.

ErieOttersFan
ErieOttersFan
6 months ago

Call me an optimist, but I truly feel like it is a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Dorothy Tecklenburg
Dorothy Tecklenburg
6 months ago

Here’s what I’m wondering. Did Rutherford trade away so many prospects that we have nothing left in the till? The management seems to like what they have- does that mean we can’t deal? Just curious about what others think.

Dorothy Tecklenburg
Dorothy Tecklenburg
6 months ago
Reply to  Dan Kingerski

I always read, but don’t often comment- I guess I’m just a lurker!

Bachinga
Bachinga
6 months ago

A Getzlaf to Pens trade would have required, Ruby Slippers, Unicorns and Pixie Dust to happen…in other words, it existed in NeverNever Land…

Join PHN Extra!

Join PHN+ today for exclusive content from Dan and Shelly plus a completely Google ad-free experience.

PHN+

Or enter your email below to sign-up for our mailing list.

Thank you!

Something went wrong.

No thanks. I don't want.