It’s time for another PHN reader poll in which we take your temperature (orally, of course) and get a sense of where Pittsburgh Penguins fans are at with the offseason. We’re also curious how little dent we’ve made with some analysis and how prevalent some opinions have become. Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, and Bryan Rust are due contracts before July 1, 2022, and their value has already proven to be a divisive topic.
So, strap in, feel free to argue in the comments; it’s not like we stop you anyway!
This offseason has been unique in its truncated timeframe and the ferocity with which teams snapped up their players both on the NHL trade market and free agency. Then all teams seem to have hit a lull. It seemed to be 0-100mph, then back to 0 in a matter of days.
The Pittsburgh Penguins front office addition of Alec Schall as the Director of Hockey Operations should be interesting. Schall had a few high-profile clients, including James van Riemsdyk. Schall negotiated that big deal for van Riemsdyk to leave Toronto for Philadelphia (and Hextall) in 2018 and got his client a very healthy $7 million AAV.
However, we don’t know much about Schall’s style. Is he a shrewd negotiator, a guy who plays hardball, or one who specializes in coming to agreements? That will play into the Penguins’ next deals with core players Letang, Malkin, and Rust.
We’re also curious about your interest level in the Xs and Os. From time to time, PHN breaks down plays, power plays, and finer points of the game. We know they’re not for everyone (especially when they show an unpopular truth), but is that a point of the game you’d like more or less coverage?
PHN wants always to make sure we’re the full-service outlet, and it seems the Penguins will make a little less news than other teams for the foreseeable future.
So, be honest…
PHN Pittsburgh Penguins Reader Poll:
Question 1, and away we go.
Has Penguins GM Ron Hextall been too conservative?
- Yep (49%, 514 Votes)
- Nope (15%, 158 Votes)
- Just Right (36%, 376 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,048
What will Kris Letang's next contract be worth?
- Below $6 million (35%, 376 Votes)
- About or more than $8 million AAV (6%, 62 Votes)
- $6.5-$7.5 million (59%, 634 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,072
What will Evgeni Malkin's next contract be worth?
- Between $4-6 million (50%, 536 Votes)
- Below $4 million AAV (7%, 73 Votes)
- Above $7 million AAV (43%, 467 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,076
If Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin are no longer Penguins, will that affect your Penguins fandom
- Yes, positively (4%, 43 Votes)
- Yes, negatively (20%, 200 Votes)
- NO (75%, 736 Votes)
Total Voters: 979
If the Penguins begin missing the playoffs
- I'm still with them, every game (84%, 795 Votes)
- I'm out (0%, 4 Votes)
- I'll check in occasionally (14%, 128 Votes)
- Call me when they're Stanley Cup contenders again (2%, 15 Votes)
Total Voters: 942
Jeff Carter will score
- I'm not optimistic (6%, 56 Votes)
- 20 goals (54%, 514 Votes)
- 15 goals (40%, 384 Votes)
Total Voters: 954
Sidney Crosby will play until
- Until he's almost 40 (56%, 561 Votes)
- Past 40 (23%, 232 Votes)
- Look out Jaromir (4%, 36 Votes)
- A few more years (18%, 176 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,005
Hockey Xs and Os
- Who cares, put the puck in the net (9%, 84 Votes)
- I'm pretty knowledgeable (65%, 616 Votes)
- I try. Places like PHN help (26%, 242 Votes)
Total Voters: 942