The Pittsburgh Penguins’ fan base seems as split as recent Penguins results. In the most recent PHN Penguins fan poll, there were some overwhelming winners (or losers), as well as some close calls.
The last week has soured a few fans, and coach Mike Sullivan has not been happy with his team, but it appears Penguins fans are bullish on their team. Or at least they were until a couple of days ago.
Thus far, Sidney Crosby has easily been the Penguins’ MVP, but who is second? It might be somewhat shocking that Evgeni Malkin finished a distant third.
Two particularly interesting votes were the most surprising player and the player most likely to turn around a bad season. Finally, despite the vitriol and often incessant nattering nabobs of negativity aimed squarely at two-thirds of the Pittsburgh Penguins core, it seems most fans are happy that Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin were re-signed.
Sidney Crosby is the Penguins MVP, who is 2nd?
- Tristan Jarry (65%, 626 Votes)
- Marcus Pettersson (7%, 66 Votes)
- Kris Letang (7%, 70 Votes)
- Evgeni Malkin (21%, 205 Votes)
Total Voters: 967
Which player has been the most surprising
- P.O Joseph (34%, 303 Votes)
- Marcus Pettersson (30%, 266 Votes)
- Josh Archibald (14%, 124 Votes)
- Jason Zucker (22%, 191 Votes)
Total Voters: 884
Which Penguins player has been the most disappointing?
- Kasperi Kapanen (35%, 295 Votes)
- Jeff Carter (19%, 164 Votes)
- Danton Heinen (12%, 105 Votes)
- Brian Dumoulin (34%, 288 Votes)
Total Voters: 852
Which of those players is most likely to have a turnaround?
- Kasperi Kapanen (23%, 199 Votes)
- Jeff Carter (33%, 281 Votes)
- Danton Heinen (24%, 202 Votes)
- Brian Dumoulin (20%, 166 Votes)
Total Voters: 848
Which Penguins player is most likely to be traded?
- No. 1 pick (13%, 111 Votes)
- Kasperi Kapanen (72%, 607 Votes)
- Jeff Carter (8%, 64 Votes)
- Jason Zucker (8%, 64 Votes)
Total Voters: 846
Favorite new player
- Rickard Rakell (75%, 577 Votes)
- P.O Joseph (13%, 99 Votes)
- Josh Archibald (8%, 62 Votes)
- Jeff Petry (5%, 36 Votes)
Total Voters: 774
The Penguins season will end...
- With a Stanley Cup (23%, 182 Votes)
- Second round or ECF (53%, 421 Votes)
- Missing the playoffs (2%, 17 Votes)
- In the first round (22%, 174 Votes)
Total Voters: 794
Was it a good move to re-sign Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin?
- Yep (83%, 696 Votes)
- Nope (17%, 147 Votes)
Total Voters: 843
The Penguins lost their third consecutive game since the NHL holiday break on Friday, but while Twitter and comment sections can be an outlet for momentary anger, it seems the poll results tell a different story. Also, we checked the logs to ensure no one rigged the polls or voted hundreds of times.
For the record, the most surprising player should be Marcus Pettersson, and the player most likely to turn around his season is Kasperi Kapanen. I also suspect by the end of the season, P.O Joseph will garner a few more votes for favorite new player.
He has been one of the Penguins playing on his toes after the holiday.
Did your fellow fans get it right? Happy New Year!